Re: Voyage of the Paper Canoe

Wm. Longyard (longyard@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 02 Dec 1999 16:17:48 -0800

I've read this book (a copy autographed by Bishop no less!) and
it truly is a fascinating read. The journey itself is
remarkable, let alone having been made in a paper canoe (built
much like fiberglass boats today). Bishop's book inspired a spat
of paper boat making. I have the journal of a similar journey
made in France in the 1880s by a man who had read Bishop's book.
Jules Verne even wrote a book called CLIPPER OF THE CLOUDS about
a huge paper ship/helicopter that flies around the world in 1888
(exactly 100 years before the Dick Rutan and Jeanna Yeager
actually did it in a composite aircraft.)

Anyway, one aspect of the book that I found very interesting was
Bishop's view of post-bellum Southern states, especially the
recently freed slaves. Though not "politically correct", the
book is an informal view of history told by one who was open
minded, and there.

Yours,
Bill Longyard
Winston-Salem, NC