Re: Coax Connectors

Rye Gewalt (ryeg@vais.net)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 05:33:57 -0500

--------------0D6A9E7691AACADAF4BCD64C

Charles Falk wrote:

> Would a couple of BNC or TNC connectors on RG58 pigtails be better than
> a PL259 on the cable from the mast connecting to an SO239 bulkhead
> connector on the cabin roof?

I dunno.... Upon further reflection, I think that the SO239 connectors are
probably best because they are big and tough. BNCs are small, but one kick
would probably break them. The difference in loss is minimal when compared
to coax losses and probably needn't be a major consideration.

There should certainly be only one set of connectors in the cabin top
assembly -- partly because of loss, but also because electrical connectors
are a major point of failure -- particularly in external marine
installations. Pigtail connection are always a problem with coax as they
provide a major impedance "lump" with the resultant losses and should be
avoided.

Where are you putting the connector? I have been thinking about putting
mine under the mast near the front so that when the mast is raised the whole
connector is hidden in the center core of the mast -- which would provide
both a degree of environmental and physical protection. That would put the
connector close to the post in the cabin, but I think that's where it should
be located.

About the only drawback to such a location would be that the coax connector
would be in the way of the mast when it is down and bolted into the
"transport" condition.

>From a reliability standpoint, it might be best to eliminate the connector
at the mast all together and run the cable thru the cabin roof using some
sort of clever feedthru -- but that has all kinds of limitations for trailer
sailors. Probably not an idea worth pursuing.

It's a nice winter problem to reflect upon as I am planning to install VHF
over the winter also.

Regards
Rye

Charles Falk wrote:

[...]