RE: Super Bright Full Moon December 22

Krumpe, Andrew (AKrumpe@dgo.com)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:29:11 -0500

Bill,

Sorry about that. I too appreciate the significance of the solstice, and as
we are all sailors here, might I add DEMON RUM to the list of beverages for
excessive swilling!?!??!!

Potter sailors, more so that sailors loyal to other boats, seem to have
better appreciation for the fundamentals of good seamanship. In matters of
navigation and piloting I tend more towards traditional methods, and I
perhaps falsely assume that other Potterers share my preference. I don't
mean to detract from the significance of the full moon coinciding with the
winter solstice, and I apologize for patronizing you all with my explanation
of the solstice.

Now, LET'S SWILL!!!

Andy Krumpe
P19 "Great Wight"
Seacoast of New Hampshire
Air Temp: 40 deg. F.
Water Temp: 42 deg. F.
Forecast: Showers, chance of snow.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Combs [SMTP:ttursine@earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 1999 12:42 PM
To: Krumpe, Andrew; wwpotter@tscnet.com
Subject: Re: Super Bright Full Moon December 22

> I just wanted to clarify that the solstice
> will have nothing to do with it as it is just the moment when the
north pole
> of the earth's axis tilts furthest away from the sun.

All true, but the coincidence _does_ add significantly to the
occasion. As
I put it when I forwarded a highly edited version of the original
message
(under the title "Moon Yourself") to a few score close friends:
"Note that
this will also be the shortest day of the year, an occasion for
annual
Druidic celebration: sacrificing virgins, piling up rocks, painting
oneself
blue, swilling malt beverages to excess, etc, etc."

Regards,
Bill Combs
--
WWP 19 #439 (Aug 1987) "Ursa Minor"