RE: Trying to find a boat. (fwd)

happy life skills foundation (hapilife@efn.org)
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:17:48 -0800 (PST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 07:24:28 -0800
From: Ken Preston <preston@gencc.com>
To: happy life skills foundation <hapilife@efn.org>
Subject: RE: Trying to find a boat.

Bought it last night. Well. . .really, what I did was commit to it verbally
and arranged to meet them sunday morning (their choice) at the boat launch
with the $1500 and something to pull it home with. I've already begun
scheming how much scrubbing, buffing, waxing etc will be required just for
the boat. . .sure hope some of that green comes off, but what the heck, I've
had funny colored boats before. The price negotiations were funny. I'm no
buyer (or seller for that matter). When first talking to them I simply said
that there was no point in my going to look at the boat if they wanted any
more than $1500. . .mistake I guess. . .Curt thought about a milisecond and
said he thought that was at least possible. . .so I went out to Kenmore
yesterday noon (wednesday, wind and more wind and rain and some heavy mist
among the showers and occasional deluges. . .in the wind, but otherwise a
nice day) and patted the boat on the head. . .called last night to make some
sort of an offer. . .but the price was already settled on. I guess at $1500
it's a fine enough buy not to worry that I didn't somehow manage to steal it
for less. I did not mention your name, but will if you like, when I go to
pick up the boat.

Anyway, I owe you a very large smile or a bottle of root beer or whatever
seems appropriate in that line. I've wanted one of these boats since I was
a teenager (I used to have an original, addressed to me, brochure from West
Wight Plycraft. . .England, which had to be a pretty early iteration of the
boat. . .spoke of delivering the one across the North sea as a recent
achievement I recall. . .) One way or another I've gone through several
other boats and never managed to come to a point where I needed a boat and
could find or afford a Potter at the same time. I've long enjoyed similar
dreams of cruising off away in something bigger and more seaworthy. . .but
am no longer so sure. Small boats go sailing. Damn few big ones do. An
awful lot of people manage to buy just enough boat to keep them mortgaged
enough to have to keep working steadily until they're too old to do anything
with the boat. I've sort of played that stunt, but without the bigger boat
by and large. . .h'mm. Friends of mine have hit a pretty interesting
compromise. . .they have a 26' trailerable swing keel boat with a pop top
cabin. They live in Port Townsend, have sailed that boat twice to the
Bahamas, several times have spent the whole winter in the Sea of Cortez,
claim it's comfortable to live aboard in such climates and trailers behind a
V6 van all right. That might work pretty well!

Thanks Again!
KenP