Re: P17

t lamb (lambt@hotmail.com)
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:23:17 CST

After reading several of your responses regarding centerboards and
swing-keels, it reminded be of an event that took place on Stillhouse Hollow
lake. For clarification, my Catalina's 20" draft is with keel up. For
sailing into the wind wy draft increases to 5'.

Stillhouse Hollow lake is a man-made lake and as a result it has many
"wonderful" petrified trees in certain areas. A fellow Cat22 owner ran into
one of these trees (as I have on a few occasions). However, in this case,
the swing-keel (at the cable connection) got hung up. The boat had enough
momentum that the pivot joint was ripped out of the bottom of the boat. The
Keel dropped free (dangling from the cable) and further wrapped around the
tree. After starting to pull the boat down, the cable snapped. The keel is
now somewhere in the "not so briny-deep". This was a very expensive event
as you could imagine.

Moral of the story..."swing-keels aren't always better in groundings."

Todd Lamb

----Original Message Follows----
From: "t lamb" <lambt@hotmail.com>
To: GSTahoe@aol.com, wwpotter@tscnet.com
Subject: Re: P17
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:48:05 CST
>From wwpotter-request@tscnet.com Fri Dec 17 12:51:25 1999

I am in the Army, Stationed at Fort Hood, TX. I would love to go sailing
with any Potter owner in the area, and invite you all to sail on StillHouse
Hollow Lake near Belton, TX where I keep my Catalina.

----Original Message Follows----
From: GSTahoe@aol.com

<< That being said, I have never sailed, touched, or even seen
a Potter in person.

Todd Lamb >>

Poor, poor deprived Todd Lamb. To have never sailed a Potter is similar to
have never having seen a sunrise, never having sipped a glass of fine Merlot
or to having never having the pleasure of love with a beautiful woman. Are
you in prison?

If you are a free man, let us know where you are located and chances are,
there's a Potter nearby. This Holiday Season would be a wonderful time to
save this poor soul from such depravity.

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop
N. Lake Tahoe, NV and
Monterey, CA