RE: Keel Trunks Redux And Centerboard Cables

Judith Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:38:51 -0800

Hi Andy,

Thanks for writing to tell me about what happened to your keel trunk. I think that unbreakable steel bolts are part of the problem. Sooner or later, every boat runs aground. I have a suggestion: how about using nylon nuts for your lockdown bolts? That way, the nut will break before you do any other substantial damage. I believe the bolts are a metric #8, so you may have to search around for them in nylon. Don't take my word for on the size; the lockdown assembly I saw may be different from yours.

On my boat, I intend to install a short piece of rope from the keel cap to a cleat on the trunk, in addition to to the breakway lockdown bolt. I'll leave 8 or 9" of slack in the rope. That way, the keel can ride up, but if we get knock down subsequently, the keel can't come out of the trunk very far. I'll put the nylon break-away bolt thru the keel and trunk to lock the keel perfectly still.

Jerry Barrilleaux's old P19 has a rope from the keel cap to a cleat on the trunk, and it's perfect. It takes two secs to secure or undue it, and it's infinitely adjustable. Simple and sweet.

Yes, people have replaced the wire keel cable with strong, low stretch line. With my keel winch, I couldn't do that because of the way the cable attached to the drum. You probably can just tie a knot to your keel. Spectra line is *very* strong in a small diameter (almost as strong as cable)- that might be a good line to use. Just be sure to tie a very secure knot; spectra is also very slippery (which makes it work well in the winch but makes it hard to tie a secure knot). There are special knots that you use for tying slippery line. Most of them have one extra loop on the tail of the line for extra friction. Brion Toss' book _The Rigger's Apprentice_ has some good knots for slippery line.

About removing the cable: I remove the cable on my keel for overnighting. I just undo the bolt, slip the cable off it and put the bolt back thru the keel cap. It makes the cabin feel HUGE!!! However, be sure to put the cable back on before you go out sailing again unless you're in very deep water. You may need to raise the keel quickly if you run aground. If you can raise the keel in a second or two, you don't even need to lower the sails.

Hope I answered all your questions!

Fair winds,
Judy