RE: Oarlocks for a P-15

Tim Spofford (tims@spof.org)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:06:39 -0800

At 06:48 PM 12/20/1999 -0800, Judy B wrote:

>My pre-owned P19 came with oarlock sockets and a pair of ash two-piece
>oars, very long, beautifully balanced, and trimmed with brass and leather
>-- and a story. the story is: The original owner liked to go out early
>in the morning and didn't like to wake up live-aboards on the neighboring
>yachts by firing up the outboard.

I like the original owner a lot. :-)

>The boat also came with simple seat for rowing -- a varnished 2 x 8 which
>is fits across the cockpit from side to side; you place it across the
>seats up against the bulkhead and row facing aft.

I wonder...mightn't it be possible to make a similar seat but extend its
length by 12-18", give or take, on each side and build the oarlock sockets
into the seat? I'm trying to visualize whether one could attain the
correct angles fore-and-aft and vertically, relative to the water. It
seems one might, but it's been years since I've rowed a boat, and years
longer than that since I've thought about doing it. What do you think?