Re: Alternative Rowing Setup

GSTahoe@aol.com
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 12:14:27 EST

In a message dated 12/25/99 8:55:56 AM Pacific Standard Time, hlg@pacbell.net
writes:

<< Mike:

My P14 has a bow pulpit, and I've never had any problem using a whisker
pole to wing out the jib or genoa. The foot of the genoa may touch the
pulpit, as on most boats, but the pole doesn't. I recommend a bow pulpit
but have never found a need for the side rails on my boat. The swept back
cabin sides on the early Potters like mine provide some side enclosure of
the cockpit, which may be why I haven't felt the need for side rails.

Harry
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA

Mike Stallings reportedly wrote:

> Thanks Ken. Now I know that bow rails interfere with poled out
>headsails, and side rails interfere with rowing. That makes the rail buying
>decision much easier. I'll just have to live with fewer places to tie
>things off.

Since Harry mentioned the bow pulpit, I'd like to throw in my two sense worth
about the rails. If you throw it away, I'll be senseless.

I have a P-15 that's about seven or eight years old. I cannot imagine having
to deal with not having the cockpit rails. Not only are they handy for
holding on to and tying lines off to, they give my back much needed support
on a long day on the boat. I have the cockpit rail covers that are now being
sold by IM and they give a very comfortable, full back support while sitting
for hours sailing.

There are a lot of opinions expressed about equipment by people who do not
have the aforementioned equipment. If you don't have the equipment, you
probably won't miss it. If you have it, you'll find how much additional
pleasure the add ons may give you. Ask any eunich.

I hope you are all having a pleasant Christmas day. I hope Santa brought you
what you deserved!

I asked him to make me 30 years old again and make my 16 year old Cocker
Spaniel, Dillon, one year old again. I guess next year I'd have more luck
asking for a GPS or a MP3 player. Those would be cool too! Perhaps Santa
didn't make it because he got sidetracked by too many "Ho's"

Ho. Ho. Ho.

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop
N. Lake Tahoe, NV and