RE: [ecpa] raising the mast on a potter19

Judith Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 15:10:56 -0800

Hi All,

I'm 5'5" and 105 pounds. I raise the mast on our P19 "practically" all by myself. And we have the older, heavier mast with a CDI and furled sail on it. It weighs a ton compared to the newer mast.

I say "practically", because I need help for the first few feet or so. My husband usually lifts the mast about tand then I crank it up the rest of the way with the main halyard running from the mast head, forward to a block on the bow pulpit. Then it runs aft through a rope clutch, then back to a winch. With the rope clutch, it's very easy to stop halfway if I need to free a snagged shroud. (A cam-cleat instead of a rope clutch would work too, and you could use the jib halyard instead of the main halyard.).

The baby stays keep it from swaying sideways.

If our mast crutch was taller, I wouldn't need any help at all. Making a better mast crutch is one of my future projects - or adapting the trailer bowstop winch with an extension.

Fair winds,
Judy B
1985 WWP-19 #266 Redwing
Visit my Potter Web Page at http://hometown.aol.com/jblumhorst/HomePage/index.htm