Re: Went Sailing christmas Eve

David Lang (chrdvd@gte.net)
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 20:02:02 -0800

In 1976 I sailed under the SF Bridge with two other guys on a 37ft catch
after 22 days at sea Sailing from Hawaii. I was 18 years old and a very
green sailor ( I replaced another crew member that couldn't go) The captain
was an English lad of only 24. The other crew member was 19. We were
delivering a boat that was sailed from CA to Tahiti and then to Hawaii where
the owner had enough of sailing for a while and hired our Captain to
deliver it. Those were some great memories. Unfortunately all the pictures I
gave to the 19 year old crewmember. He was going on a bike ride across the
United States with construction jobs lined up with relatives along the way.
When he got to New York he was going to by a boat and sail around the world.
Big dreams for a 19 year old and I never found out if he made it. Never got
my pictures back either. Anyway, All I could think about when I landed in SF
was getting something as cold to eat as possible (no refrigeration on the
boat) There were these two little folding bikes on the boat and the crew
took off on them for a cruise around the city. Not knowing where we were we
ended up in China town, Two white hair to your shoulders teenagers with navy
P coats on. Someone on the street said something sarcastic to us and we
responded the same. The next thing we knew a knife came out and we were
being chased by two teens about our age. The handlebars on my bike were
stripped so I had to really work at staying on the bike. We were on a hill
(none of those in San Francisco!) so we turned around and rode down hill. I
was stared to death, but we lost them and ended up at Ghiradelis (I think
thats how you spell it) Where we met up with the Captain. We scarfed down
three of the largest ice cream contraptions we could order. The next day I
was very home sick and called my mother to wire me enough money to fly home
as I was flat broke. The experience was both lonely and exhilarating. I
think I was a little young to be taking on such an adventure with no
experience, and was certainly sea sick for much of the trip. Please pardon
the rambling but What you said brought back the memory. What are some of
your great adventures? It is winter, Time for tall tales, especially you
East Coasties.

Best regards, Dave Lang P15 hull#554 "Go West"