Tales of the Fish Patrol

From: GUNWALES@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 01 2000 - 21:26:56 PST

Having had to delay my trip south for a week, I have continued listening to
the audio tape of Jack London's _Tales of the Fish Patrol_. Available also in
print.

Jack, first an oyster pirate, converts to the right side of the law and to
earn money to get thru high school joins the fish patrol. Set on San
Francisco bay in the early 1900s, small sailboats chase other small sailing
fishing boats and sometimes Chinese junks sneaking shrimp. Tides, storms,
navigation, fogs, rivers, and even a stuck centerboard. It is another culture
where everyone agrees not to shoot even when all are armed but the fish
patrolman has to put his arm upon you before you give up and stop running
(sailing) away. London's story telling style, apparently autobiographical,
fits the audio mode well but I am sure it will also be a good read. Of
particular interest to the bay sailors among us is his description of the
geography, wildlife, and waterlife.

Cliff in Marysville, PA