Alternative to inflatable PFDs

From: GUNWALES@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 16:50:22 PST

Consider trying on a vest type III PFD from a canoeing/kayak shop in the $50
to $75 range. You may find the comfort as good or better than a suspender. It
protects from sun and chill and even carries some emergency stuff in its
pockets. Mine always includes a knife in sheath, whistle, and keys.
Flashlight and compass are added when necessary. I find in hot sun it is
cooler than bare skin and can be dipped for 'air conditioning'. It is
important not to confuse these with the PFDs often sold at power boat sources
which are not designed for moving around and strengthened to handle a fall of
a fast moving boat or water skiis.

These vests are also comfortable to wear when swimming off the boat when you
want a little added security.

Finally, a little known fact, though not coast guard official, is that you
can put a type II horseshoe over a type III and get the floatation and head
up position of a type I. This is necessary when heavy waves make other vests
inadequate. Most won't carry or wear type I PFDs because they are so
uncomfortable but can get use to wearing a type III and carrying a few type
II (very cheap) for when conditions get bad. Try it at a beach to see how the
combination works for you before needed in an emergency.

Cliff in PA
Multiple canoes and shopping...