P15 ladder/flotation removal

From: Sukoshi1044@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 09:00:23 PST

In a message dated 1/5/00 7:49:58 AM Mountain Standard Time,
Krystofr26@aol.com writes:

<< Bill, how did you get all of the
 flotation out of your P15? Did you break it apart? Are you replacing it
 with something else? >>

Chris and interested Potterers:

I broke it out with a clam shovel and then scraped the bottom of the seats
with a scraper. It was a bear to remove and there'll probably always be
residue as the space is VERY difficult to navigate for my 200lb carcass.
Sukoshi is a 1980 model and had 'poured in place' foam that must have used an
additional mold to achieve the outside shape. The newer IM boats may use a
different method of installing flotation. At this point, I'm still
investigating flotation for under the seats. I like the idea of flotation
bags that could be easily removable, but then there would need to be brackets
mounted fore and aft to lash them in so they don't just 'float away'.
They're expensive and I don't relish the thought of crawling <?> back to the
wee spaces to mount brackets. I removed my floatation to mount an adjustable
motor mount and replace the broken plastic mooring cleats with anodized
aluminum ones. I'll probably use the Dow Chemical 'blue foam' used to
insulate crawl spaces in house construction that was suggested by others on
the listserv. It comes in 1, 2, and 4 inch thickness' but the 4 inch stuff
is not readily available here. If I go this way, I'll cut pieces the size of
the seats <with clearance of course> and laminate to a thickness of 6 to 8
inches and then glue to the underside of the seats. This would give adequate
flotation to support the boat at least as well as the original. I've noticed
that the old 'poured in place' foam lent some rigidity to the seats and would
hope that the 'blue foam' would reinstate that.

Bill de Ment P-15 #1044 'Sukoshi'
Eagle, Idaho