Re: Sailing, Sailing

From: Eric Zilbert (eezilbert@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 14:12:52 PST

I too would like to venture again into the eastern Pacific. I have
considered the following as possible sites and would like anyone elses
views on the sanity of trying any of these in a P-19 (or 15)

1. Bodega Bay - I have been to the ramp here at it looks like a good one,
the bay seems to afford some protection, and I know the whales are out
there off the coast in the spring and fall. I also know there are alot of
rocks and exposure to giant sleeper waves. Has anyone tried this? Is
there a particularly good time of year? Would it be possible to sail down
to Drakes Bay, spend the night in the Estero, and then go in the Golden
Gate the next day and car pool back to the trailers?

2. Out the gate from Sausolito or San Francisco.

3. Half Moon Bay - I believe this area can get quite rough and that the
harbor mouth may be difficult to negotiate.

4. Santa Cruz - Is there a ramp? Wouldn't this be another good place to
view the whales?

4. Monterey is of course terrific as we know, but a bit of a trip.

5. Moro Bay - Even longer trip. There is a ramp and of course one can
explore the bay. How is it getting in and out of the harbor? Could one
sail around to Avila Beach and take out there? I know the harbor there has
a lift and is well protected.

I am looking forward to the meeting on Jan 16. Plan to bring the boat and
sail if it is nice. - Eric

Eric Zilbert
Davis "not by the sea" California
P19 #621 "Riptide"