Re: Sailing, Sailing

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 16:28:22 PST

>I too would like to venture again into the eastern Pacific. I have
>considered the following as possible sites and would like anyone elses
>views on the sanity of trying any of these in a P-19 (or 15)
>
>1. Bodega Bay - I have been to the ramp here at it looks like a good one,
>the bay seems to afford some protection, and I know the whales are out
>there off the coast in the spring and fall. I also know there are alot of
>rocks and exposure to giant sleeper waves. Has anyone tried this? Is
>there a particularly good time of year? Would it be possible to sail down
>to Drakes Bay, spend the night in the Estero, and then go in the Golden
>Gate the next day and car pool back to the trailers?

A few years back we had a Potter Yachters weekend at Bodega Bay. The wind
was too high for my comfort level at the time, so I never launched. Stan
Butler and De Marsh were diving off of Stan's anchored P15, when one of
those sneaker waves rose up out of flat water and totaled Stan's boat. They
managed to jump off before it hit, and Stan's insurance bought him a new
P15.

>2. Out the gate from Sausolito or San Francisco.

That's been done (not by me), but plan carefully with regard to wind, tide,
and fog. De Marsh once sailed out the Gate and down to Half Moon Bay. The
currents can be powerful.

>3. Half Moon Bay - I believe this area can get quite rough and that the
>harbor mouth may be difficult to negotiate.

They have a beautiful ramp, but I have never sailed there. I believe there
is a reef that needs to be avoided when approaching and leaving the harbor.
Dave Kautz and Chris Sayer were just discussing the possibility of sailing
there, and I might be up for it also.

In general, ocean sailing in Northern California is not to be undertaken
lightly in small boats. Southern California has much milder conditions
generally, and my first sails in my P14 were in the ocean south of Long
Beach.

>4. Santa Cruz - Is there a ramp? Wouldn't this be another good place to
>view the whales?

There is a ramp near the mouth of the harbor. It has a $10 fee, I believe.
I launched there once, many years ago, and sailed my P14 straight across
Monterey Bay, one-way to Monterey. I got seasick on the ground swells
outside of Santa Cruz but recovered quickly. It was pretty exciting 10
miles out - 6 ft swells plus chop. Didn't see any whales, just lots of
jellyfish.

>4. Monterey is of course terrific as we know, but a bit of a trip.
>
>5. Morro Bay - Even longer trip. There is a ramp and of course one can
>explore the bay. How is it getting in and out of the harbor? Could one
>sail around to Avila Beach and take out there? I know the harbor there has
>a lift and is well protected.

I missed the north-south combined Potter event there many years ago. I
think the bay is shallow and has strong currents, but I have no first-hand
knowledge.

>I am looking forward to the meeting on Jan 16. Plan to bring the boat and
>sail if it is nice. - Eric

Dave Kautz and I are thinking about bringing our boats also, probably not
launch until after the meeting.