P19 First Sail

From: Trevor Smith (smithborne@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 12:17:31 PST

I just wanted to thank everyone that has contributed
to this list for the past six months or so; it was a
significant factor in my decision to purchase a P19.
As a solid internet citizen but a novice sailor, I
think the helpfulness and knowledge evidenced here
pushed me over the edge into potterdom. The caliber
of the boat skippers can tell you things you'll never
see on a spec sheet or in a brochure.

Even though I took delivery in the beginning of
December, I had to delay my first sail until
yesterday for lack of an able-bodied crew (single-
handing with my current level of skill would fall
somewhere between "spitting into the wind" and
"juggling chain saws" on the stupid scale). But
I felt like the kid that kept being told that
Christmas was postponed...again.

I have to say that the wait was totally and completely
worth it.

My two brothers and I launched the "Dawg" from the
beautiful 10-lane boat ramp at Lake Pleasant.
Thank goodness that no one else was launching at the
time, because it turns out this rusty captain had a
bit of trouble steering (centerboard up, rudder not
in place yet) with the outboard (Nissan 5hp not fixed
down to prevent tilting, friction clamp too tight to
allow proper turning, limited to half-throttle
because of the break-in period). Once I was off the
trailer I proceeded to do several unintentional wide
loops in reverse using about nine of the ten vacant
launching lanes. This broke the strict maritime
discipline I had been enforcing...causing my crew to
laugh uncontrollably--even to the point I believe is
referred to as "busting a gut".

Safely docked, we loaded up with Gatorade and Power
Bars and prepared for the christening. I know
that IM builds a solid boat, but whacking it with
a Champaign bottle seems so wrong...brother number
one had a great solution: pop the cork over the bow,
spill some of the bubblie over the deck, and
drink the rest. I have never taken a big swig of
sparkling wine right out of the bottle before but
it turns out that the CO2 bubbles expand to fill
all the available space and then some. I know
the sibling mutaineers got a big kick out of the
human seltzer bottle spraying champaign out of
nose and mouth. Because of all my coughing and
choking, the courmartials were postponed until
after the launch.

Dock antics not withstanding, the day was boating
ecstasy; 70 degrees, light wind, only two other
boats on the lake. After a brief motor out of the
protected cove, we hoisted the sails and had a
grand time. She sails beautifully, and even
seems to point well without the backstay (the
one factory option I regret not ordering).

I have a newbie question:

My centerboard locks in the down postition with
four screw-clips. They are mis-aligned just
enough that it makes it difficult to clip all
four at the same time. Should I be concerned if
I only use three--or would it be even better to
just fasten one or two to make it easier for the
board to pop-up if I run aground?

Thanks again to everyone.

Lurking and learning...

Trevor Smith