Re: Winter Projects

From: Mac Davis (mcmd@innet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 10:54:07 PST

Hi Bruce:
Here's my take on your questions:>
> 1) Lazyjack system. Don't use one myself because I have to take the mast down to get under bridges where I sail, but were I to construct one, I'd use 1/16" line, 4 small eyestraps pop-rivited to either side of boom at 1/3 and 2/3 boom length, another pair of eye straps pop rivited to mast about 2/3 of the way up the mast.
>
> 2) Reefing. Aside from reef points on the main, what hardware do I need to have and again, where does it mount?
You need a reef hook to replace the gooseneck pin (Racelite part, get it from IM); a cheek block mounted on the boom so that, when reefed, the outhaul pull from the clew is 60º down and 30º aft (or by eyeball is a continuation of the leech), and a cleat to secure the reefed outhaul.

> 3) The type of saw blade, preparation (so as not to wreck the finish) and procedures would be greatly appreciated. I used a jigsaw for this type of operation, but a thin router bit or rotozip spiral cut bit would be better if you have room. Jigsaw cuts on upstroke, so you need to use a fine tooth (metal cutting OK) and go very slow to avoid splintering. Since you probably want to save the cutout to use as the hatch, the cut should be continuous. Make a cardboard template, cover the outline of the cut with tape (helps reduce splintering) draw the outline on the tape, make a plunge cut and go at it. I used 1 1/2 inch wide flat 1/8" aluminium stock (from Home Depot) to make a 3/4 inch lip all the way around the new opening for strength.
Hope this helps,
Mac Davis
Kelpie, WWP19 #804, Aripeka, FL