Central Cal. offshore sailing?

From: larry steffen (lsteffen@webtv.net)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 08:44:44 PST

Howdy Eric and Happy 2000!

I lived at Morro Bay, Pismo Beach, etc. from 1960 to '92 and sailed my
HMS 18 off the coast there from 1975. Here are some thoughts . . .

MORRO BAY - Good ramp (I used to live on bluff above ramp) but bay tide
change can mean 3.5 knot current - you just need good wind or motor to
beat it. Back bay area of Los Osos and museum are teriffic as is a
neat waterside restaurant at the State Park Marina. Entrance has
sleeper waves in sets (I almost lost a 25' sloop in 1965) when swell is
up and dredging is needed. A San Luis Yacht Club sail from Avila (Port
San Luis) to Morro Bay Yacht Club, overnight and back to Port San Luis
next day is a great annual event - I am still a club member and can set
up you and other boats if you are interested. It is a beat north to Pt.
Buchon and reach to Morro Bay - 4-5 hours/22 nautical miles and the run
back is beautiful! Another neat longer trip is up to San Simeon Cove at
Hearst Castle and anchor for the night, but watch for summer fog, steep
following seas and stiff winds on both trips (take a drogue). San Fran.
Bay sailing is much safer than this desolate central coast where the
Coast Guard is 2-3 hours away and VHF coverage is zero just south of Pt.
Buchon to Avila.

A neat "secret" cove just south of Avila is my favorite anchorage for a
weekend. If you are headed there, let me know and I'll give you
the details!

Monterey Bay is still my favorite bay sail though! And a weekend trip
around to Pebble Beach to anchor at Stillwater Cove is tops, in good
weather! Excellent diving too!

Steady on the tiller, Eric and crew!. . . .

Larry Steffen
YUUKI, HMS 18 #35
Monterey Bay, Calif.

http://community.webtv.net/lsteffen/STILLWATERCOVERANCH