Re: Winter Projects

From: Thos. Westerman (thomasw@vanion.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 10:00:04 PST

>I have a few projects I'd like to get started on,
>perhaps some of you can help me out with parts lists,
>ideas and methods. I have a P-19.

>3) Cutting a new storage hatch below. I want to expand
>my storage capabilities. It looks like a good way to
>do this is to mirror the storage hatch on the port
>side where the cooler is, on the starboard side. The
>type of saw blade, preparation (so as not to wreck the
>finish) and procedures would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce,
I have an older P19 (1989). My port forward hatch is only about 7-8 inches
long and is not a plastic type hatch but a cut out of wood backed
fiberglass. I decided after listening to strings of it onthe list, to cut
a similar hatch in the starboard side just forward of the porta pottie. It
went well but I was dissappointed--not a ver big compartment and it was
filled with styro blocks. (the cut piece was kind of thin and I used
aluminum length in the 4 corners diagnally so the cut out piece would nt
fall in when placed back--cut out a finger hole to remove the cut out hatch.

I dont have a cooler hatch which is a newer option and I think a very good
one. I just bought a long plastic hatch on ebay for $25 or so and plan to
use it either to replace my port forward hatch with more of what you ahve
for a cooler or better access in, or put it in the forward part of one of
the quarter berths under the cushion, so I can access that space for
storage (like the oar, and life jackets that seem to always take up my q
berth space.