RE: Christmas Day Sailing

From: Mike Stallings (stallings_mike@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 17:21:19 PST

John,

     Your post reminded me of how I felt about the P15 when I first sailed
it. I noticed that you are subconsciously expecting it to perform like a
Laser, and taking it out in high gusty winds. I do the same, except I'm
expecting my P15 to perform like a windsurfer. Here are my thoughts on P15:

1. Get the biggest genoa you can. It gives a big power boost in light
airs, and gets _really_ lively as the winds increase. Oddly, some claim
that the genoa won't help, but I personally haven't found that to be that
case. It won't point as well under genoa, but you'll still get upwind
faster.

2. A laser will sail circles around the P15, but you already expected that
I hope. You will be humbled if you sail around racing boats in general.
They will totally outpoint you too. But the P15 is far less trouble, can
usually handle heavier conditions, and is usually more comfortable.

3. The P15 is actually a high wind boat. This was a totally unexpected
surprise for me. I bought this boat for light wind days, expecting to
windsurf in the higher winds. But then I discovered that sailing the P15 in
anything over 15 knots is just as fun as windsurfing, and a lot dryer!
(Maybe I'm getting old...) I've owned a number of other daysailers, and the
P15 is the only one that I would confidently take out in higher winds. User
discretion advised of course. You say you can't hike out on it, but really
you can, kind of. At least you can sit up on the sides (I don't have
rails).

4. It does indeed sail terribly under mainsail alone.

5. The first mainsail reef is very substantial. With that reef and the jib
you can go out in conditions that normally only the lasers and windsurfers
go out in. I enjoy sailing in comfort through the maze of windsurfers now!

6. The cabin may not be impressive, but over time you will come to realize
how desireable it is. Just imagine not having a cabin at all.

Cheers,
Mike
P15 #1589 Alexandria VA