Re: Dagger board

From: RayTia@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 19:02:01 PST

Hi Trevor,
Had the same problem with only three of the four lock downs aligned at one
time.
Don't worry it's plenty strong.

During a New Year sail had the scary experience of having nearly the entire
boat suspended out of water hung up on a bar as a tanker traveled past me on
the Intercoastal waterway and drained about two feet of water from the shore.
 I held my breath and swore I'd never forget to unclamp the board when
running in shallow water....but the clamps held (only two were latched) and
the boat escaped undamaged once the water returned.

After a nights sleep we sailed back in sustained 20 knot winds gusting to 29
knots (about 10 over the forecast). Started with board clamped down and main
jiffy reefed (though at 30 knots I'd definitely wish for another set of reef
points). Boat was a little reluctant to tack until I unfurled a little bit
of jib (perhaps 10 square feet)...Then "Cantrip" happily tacked within 100
degrees true (GPS verified) and was easy to steer. At 30 knots I'd wish
for another set of reef points. Not many trailer sail boats (and certainly
no waterballasted ones) could have done as well.

Ray
P19 #1104 "Cantrip"