Re: Tiller Extension for P15

From: GSTahoe@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 10:36:34 PST

wshurr@email.unc.edu writes:

<< Someone on this list--about a year ago, I think--mentioned a quick fix for
 the tiller-exension problem--a short length of pvc pipe of the right
 interior diameter to slide over the tiller and the right length to stretch
 as far as you want it to, even into the cabin. Seemed like a great
 invention to me. Hope this helps.
 BILL, WWP15 "Bilzbote", central North Carolina

Bill,

The problem with that, Bill, is that the pipe does not swivel at the
connection to the tiller handle. If you where in the cabin and you where to
begin to jibe or got hit with an errant wave and fell off the wind, you
wouldn't have enough throw to be able to correct your course. If you where
sitting on the rail in a stiff wind, I doubt you'd even be able to reach your
tiller extension. It would be in the center of the cockpit. A pipe sliding
on your tiller handle would make a tiller tamer very difficult to install.
Why bother with a Mickey Mouse solution for something that can be done
properly so easily?

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop
Sail (hull?) number: 1961