P-19 Dagger Board Holddowns

From: Bard Johnson (nbard@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 21:32:39 PST

Trevor:
My P-19 also has the four threaded dagger board hold-downs. I also
could not get all four engaged and resorted to bending a couple of the
threaded shanks a little. By keeping a little tension on the lift
cables after lowering the board, I can wiggling the board around a
little and get all four of the "adjusted" holddown bolts engaged. I
then loosen the cable(s) and snug down the knurled nuts.

I don't know if sailing with only three engaged, vs. four, would make a
difference if you turned turtle. But, the first time you hit something
hard under water with the board, the hold downs will break and you will
probably have to replace all of them anyway. I was lucky, three of the
four threaded bolts (rods) broke at the pinned end and one of the hold
down brackets pulled its attachment screws out of the trunk fiberglass,
so I only had to replace three of them. The rear of the board raised
about 4" and there was no significant trunk damage, which I think was
more important. We finished a day of sailing on San Francisco bay with
some water entering at the rubber seal area, at the trunk-dagger board
cap joint. Later, $50 worth of new latches (again "adjusted") and some
patched screw holes put her back as good as new.

I plan to replace the IM design with something that will hold the board
down and keep the water-tightness at the cap joint that it now has, yet
will be more forgiving when the board takes a hit.

There has been some discussion of this problem in the past, but with the
aim of restraining the board from coming up out of the slot during a
capsize. I also want to keep it down against the seal during pitching
motions.

If you, or anyone else, has some ideas for such a holddown arrangement,
please tell us.

Regards,

Bard Johnson
P-19 #997, Passing Wind