Re: Tiller Extension for P15

From: GSTahoe@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 10:30:52 PST

writes:

<< so geoff....WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO INSTALL A TILLER EXTENSION????
 Ken Silverman, p-15, "vegan lorax", sailing in the sometimes shoal waters
 of lake washington.... >>

Ken,

I don't know if it's "best", but it's worked well for me for quite a while.
I bought a regular tiller extension and used the hardware that came with it
to mount the hinge unit to the top of the tiller handle. The only change I
think I would make, would be to mount the hardware about four inches back
from the end of the tiller. I mounted it right on the end. With it back a
few inches, when I'm not using the extension, I would have a more comfortable
grip on the tiller handle. The other thing is to make certain the mounting
screws are screwed down flush or filed smooth after mounting. Again, when
you're not using the extension, you want the most comfortable grip possible
on the tiller, and a couple of sharp screw heads don't do much for my Ivory
soft hands!

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop
Sail (hull?) number: 1961