Re: Steering Vanes

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 12:55:49 PST

If I understand correctly, the wind vane is like a weathervane in that it
always aligns with the apparent wind. If the boat veers, the apparent wind
direction changes, and the vane swings. The vane is mechanically linked to
the rudder in such a way that the rudder steers the boat back to the
original heading relative to the wind. It doesn't maintain a compass
heading except to the extent that the wind direction is constant.

I believe there are several different ways to implement this. I think some
use a separate rudder and some use a trim tab, and there are other
variations.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA