Re: Self Steering

From: The Costas (uffda@sonic.net)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 21:11:19 PST

>I believe this is the problem. As you move around your weight changes the
>trim and the boat heads into a new direction. The only way is to either
> remain in place or get an autopilot.

>SF

All

Have I missed Jerry's response to this string? If not, I can't understand
why he has kept quiet because he taught me how to set up for self-steering
that allowed me to climb up on the foredeck of my P-19, in "interesting"
conditions and make a headsail change.

This is what he told me to do... (I hope I get it right).

Head across the wind.
Lower the headsail.
Slack off on the mainsheet until the front third of the main is luffing.
Tie off the tiller.
Sit and watch for a couple of minutes.

I was amazed by how much I could move around without any major change in
heading. I know that this won't work for all instances, but after I found
out how well it worked I started using it to take extended brakes (even made
a sandwich once while HC went happily on her way).

This is how I remember doing it, but if I got it wrong I hope that Jerry
will make the corrections.

Larry