Re: Self Steering

From: The Costas (uffda@sonic.net)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 21:57:44 PST

Bill Combs wrote:

>Yeah, but is "her way" the way you want to go?
>
>Actually, there are a bunch of stable sail configurations for a P19 if
>you're not interested in going in a specific direction ... and the seas are
>either regular or not too large. An entire group of these are based around
>heaving-to (headsail backed, main trimmed, helm lashed to leeward), ranging
>from classic (30-60 degrees off the wind) to having the wind blowing right
>up the main/backed-headsail slot from the stern (try this last one with a
>genoa, it's a kick!). Experiment with headsail size, jibsheet tension, main
>size, boom position, and tied-down tiller position to discover some
>variations of your own. Onlookers may think you've lost your mind, but it's
>both a learning experience and an entertaining way to spend an hour or two.
>Then the next time you want a sandwich you may know of a combo that will
>keep you heading -- albeit probably slowly -- in a desired direction.
>
>Regardless, I still like an autopilot, probably because I seem to always be
>heading somewhere rather than enjoying random daysailing.

Bill and all

That was the great thing about Jerry's idea, I wasn't going downwind, but
across the wind (didn't loose much headway up the bay). On top of that when
I said "interesting" conditions (for that first try) I should have said 15+
mph winds with a cross chop (going with the wind) that soaked me a couple of
times before I was able to get back to the cockpit. All this time HC was
moving along at about half speed (fast enough to give me a thrill sitting
out there on the bow). I guess that I should also add that I was
single-handing and (even though I almost outweigh the keel) HC didn't seem
to mind where I was, when she was set up in this configuration.

As for an autopilot, I wanted to buy one until a local Cal 20 sailor
explained to me that using one is like tying down the jib sheets. This is
something that most SF bay (small boat) sailors are loathe to do because of
the strong (and fluky at times) wind conditions that exist here.

Larry