Re: Self Steering

From: The Costas (uffda@sonic.net)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 23:21:29 PST

>Larry, Larry, Larry, listen not to the faint of heart! ;-)
>
>I appreciate the caution & have my autopilot arranged such that a quick
flip
>of the wrist can physically disengage it, just as the active jibsheet can
be
>one-flip released ... both, of course, only if I'm in the cockpit. The
major
>beneficial effect I've noted is that I can be comfortable for long periods
>because the available postures are not limited to those which allow a hand
>to be kept on the tiller.
>
>And, yes, big, sudden, out-a-weird-direction gusts can initiate a
regulation
>Chinese firedrill, but I've never really gotten in serious trouble.
>
>Regards,
>Bill Combs

Bill

Sounds right to me. I think he was in his cabin using the facilities when,
without much warning, he ended up standing on the "downhill" cabin side.
All I know is that he told me that after that he removed the AP and never
used it again.

I get the impression that you use your AP more as a well supervised "helper"
then as a trusted helmsman like the "big" boaters do.

To explain: I don't read into your post that you would feel OK to go below
for extended periods of time while your sheets are cleated and the AP is in
command. Did I read it right?

Larry