Sailing at Dana Point CA on Saturday

From: David Lang (chrdvd@gte.net)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 17:51:09 PST

     Greetings,

            We had a beautiful day of sailing on Saturday at Dana Point.
Bill Payne & Bill Boyer got in the water first and started out the harbor
exit. I was late in arriving so I headed out about 1/2 hour later with my 9
year old daughter Tammy as crew. We were greeted by several bottle nose
dolphins at the harbor exit frolicking around in the water. This delighted
my daughter as she has informed me she wants to be a marine biologist when
she grows up and dolphins are her absolute favorite marine mammal (as is
probably most 9 year olds) I guess they had just arrived as the two bills
did not see them on there way out. I motored out with my newly rebuilt 2hp
Evinrude shipmate and stopped to try out my oars on the way out. I found its
a lot of work rowing a p15! due to the oars being so heavy it tired me out
quick. I arrived at the two Bills looking for wind. Our purpose was two
fold. enjoy some great sailing and try to spot some whales. The whales
didn't materialize (we were not optimistic after listening to the commercial
boats express no finds) and the wind didn't look to good either. We drifted
and talked for about 1/2 hour until enough wind picked up to sail a little.
I was interested to find my Genoa in very light airs is really not an
advantage as the two Bill's overtook me with working Jib's. I did have my
motor down (oops) and that did add a little drag, but I think he would have
overtaken me anyway. We finally got some decent wind and started to really
sail. It was a glorious day on the water. We sailed straight out to sea.
There are no oil wells in your view from Dana Point and looking out to sea
is wide open. The Genoa really started to perform about 5knots (with the
motor up!)and I pulled away from the pack . We had some glorious sailing for
about an hour and then decided to head back before dark. Downwind the Genoa
proved to be only a little advantage. Some of that due to me learning about
the sail, the other due to the sail rides higher with the CDI and it
doesn't catch the wind as well under the mainsail. We had a really nice day
and am looking forward to the next time we can go out.
     Verdict on the new Genoa and roller furling so far. In winds over 5
knots its great. I mean really great! Under 5 knots I think a hanked on jib
is better. I have not been able to sail it in winds over 10-15 knots so am
not sure how a partially furled Genoa will compare to a hanked on jib. So
far the trade off has been worth it. I love furling up the sail while
entering the harbor and having a clean deck. I also like being able to
change the size of the headsail so effortlessly.

Dave (windbag) Lang P15 hull#554 "Go West"
was sailing with; Bill Boyer in "Lil" & Bill Payne in "Pilgrim"