RE: Fore deck Hatch Potter -15

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 15:43:54 PST

> I would be quite aprehensive about going into a cabin and out a
> hatch forward
> to change headsails on a 15' sailboat out in the middle of the
> ocean leaving
> the tiller unattended.. Maybe I am affected by all those high powered
> speedboats barreling by about 10' away to check my sailboat.. The
> world is
> full of uncaring, unthinking sail and power boaters.. I think I
> would rather
> use a roller furler..

For what its worth, when i couldn't scare up crew for races, I would
singehand, even flying the spinnaker. What i would do is tie a line to the
tiller, wrap it around the mast, and tie the other end to the tiller too.
Then, you can get on the foredeck, and by manipulating that line (often in
my teeth) I could change headsails, set the spinnaker, whatever.

it sure would be easier though with crew or with an autopilot tho.