Broken reinforcement on P19

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 20:04:46 PST

I was working on my ship earlier this week, up under the forward seat
between the v-berth mounting a depth transducer to shoot through the hull,
when i noticed some bad news - one of the semi-cylindrical stringers (or is
it technically a 'floor'?) that stiffens up the flat panels of the hull, has
broken.

This is one of the fiberglass reinforcements formed over split cardboard
tube that runs perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the boat. Where it
bends underneath the forward seat (the one sorta inside the V-berth) is
where it broke. The break is front to back, right at the bend (perpendicular
to the length of the stringer, parallel to the longitudinal axis of the
boat)

Anyone else had the problem? externally there's nothing noticable, and i
have no idea how long its been broke, but this has been a particularly rough
year for the boat. Is the fix as obvious as:

grind away the broken section,
sand the surrounding area,
make a new form from cardboard or PVC or something, and
lay up a bunch of glass cloth over it?

should i put it in the water to do the repair? I'm a little afraid that
there are different forces acting on it when on the water vs. on the
trailer. I've done lots of little hole repairs and gelcoat stuff on this
boat, but have never laid op glass before. Is it as easy as the books
suggest? This particular repair looks pretty easy since there won't be any
finish work to worry about.

-Eric Johnson 1988 P19 #461 "Victoria", Bothell, WA