Re: Headsail Changes

From: Dave & Francesca Kautz (dfkautz@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 23:24:11 PST

Greetings Eric,

I too had a "big boat" experience this past weekend. Chris Beatty
wrangled me an invitation to crew on a Catalina 25 on Saturday. There
were actually two C-25s, slipped side by side, owned by two friends -
Chris crewed on one and I on the other.

Here are some observations on "big" boats:

1) Even though they are already in the water with their masts up, it
still takes a while to get them ready to go, or to put them away. The
important bits are covered with blue canvas which has to be removed and
stowed, and the parts that aren't canvassed are covered with dirt that
has to be cleaned off before you can sit there.

2) Although a C-25 is more than 10 feet longer than a P-15, only a small
part of that extra length is applied to the cockpit where you spend 95%
of your time when sailing. As the cockpit on the Catalina 22 is about
the same size, I think I will consider one of those instead when I am
ready for my "big boat"

3) Big boats are kind of boring. Because they are so heavy, when you get
a puff of wind it takes a while to affect the boat. The same is true
when you mess up - the boat has so much momentum it takes a while to
notice there's a problem. When you get your trim wrong in a P-15 the
boat STOPS. Again, I'm hoping that the C-22 might be a little more
lively, weighing half as much as the 25 (but 5 times what a P-15 weighs)

4) I did like the aft mounted mainsheet. The forward end of the cockpit
is completely unobstructed. Which was important since tacking the boat
meant undoing the jib from one winch and dashing to the other side to
wind on the other one. I may spring for the $55 part to try an aft
mainsheet on the Tilly Lucy. The rest of the C-25 rigging was very much
the same as a Potter, just bigger.

Best regards to you, Lisa and the boys,

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632, Tilly Lucy