RE: Leaking plastic gas cans

From: Dickerson, Richard (Richard.Dickerson@TTMC.TTUHSC.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 09:41:19 PST

That works but I would suggest putting an inch of the stuff to soak up gas
(absorbent, looks like kitty litter) they sell in auto parts stores in the
bottom. Lowers the risk of fire from static electricity. The problem with
leaking connection to the tank can be solved by using a hose barb fitting on
the tank. I screw it in using both Teflon tape and Permatex formagasket. I
then put some Permatex on the hose barb and put the hose on with two hose
clamps. The hose clamps should be stainless and the smallest diameter that
will fit on the hose. Big ones don't stay round and cause leaks.
Richard Dickerson, Ph.D., DABT
Associate Professor, TIEHH and
Department of Pharmacology
Texas Tech Medical Campus