Feb. 26th. sail thru Golden Gate

From: Eric Zilbert (eezilbert@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 16:01:38 PST

All - Having received the schedule for the Northern Calif. Potter Yachter
sails for this year I note that there will be a sail on Feb. 26th out of
Oakland. I looked at the tide tables for the day and I am considering
sailing out of Oakland and heading out the Gate, perhaps to lunch at one of
the coves to the north west of the gate. My idea is to leave at about
4:00 a.m. when the tide is nearly at maximum flood at the gate. By my
calculations this should get us out in the bay at about slack current or at
least only an hour or so before the current starts to run out to sea at
most locals in the bay. Sunset is at 6:00 p.m. and it seems like we
should be able to make it back by then, once again running with the tide.
Is there anyone else interested in trying this? I would prefer to do it
with another P-19, and would feel better if no one was single handed , but
if there is a P-15 skipper and crew who wants to try that would be O.K.
too. Obviously a trip for experienced skippers who know their boats well.
It would probably be best if you had a VHF radio so we could keep in
contact as well as other relevant safety gear: harnesses, GPS (in case of
fog), chart, reliable motor, and running lights. I would arrive and set
up on Friday night and spend the night at Marina Village. If you are
interested, email me and we can discuss strategy and tactics. - Eric
Eric Zilbert
Davis "not by the sea" California
P19 #621 "Riptide"