Books (continued)

From: Thomas Grimes (tgrimes@gw.bsu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 10:08:50 PST

Hi, everyone, again---

Here are some more good books, for winter (or any other time)
reading. Maybe this time I will have enough time to finish the list.

Llewellyn, Sam. _The Shadow in the Sands_. Sheridan House, Inc.,
1999. ISBN 1-57409-089-5.

This book is a continuation of Childers' _Riddle of the Sands_, by
soneone else, 95 years later. Llewellyn has also written other
mystery novels that have a lot of sailing in them; the ones that I
have read are good. I don't think that _Shadow..._ is quite as good
as _Riddle..._, but it's still pretty good.

MacInnis, Jeff with Wade Roland. _Polar Passage_. Ballentine Books,
1989. ISBN 0-8041-0650-9.

This is the account of the first sailing (by a sailboat with no
engine) of the Northwest Passage, from Inuvik in Canada to Pond Inlet
on Baffin Island. It was done by a couple of guys on a Hobie 16!

Manry, Robert _Tinkerbelle_. Harper and Rowe, New York, 1965. Also
in paperback.

Robert Manry converted an old 13 + ft open wooden dinghy to a small
(!) cabin sailboat and sailed it across the Atlantic Ocean, setting a
record for the smallest boat ever at that time. He was not a mariner,
or boat builder, or anything of the sort--he was a guy with no more
experience than the rest of us who carefully planned for all
eventualities and made the trip. A "must read" for all Potter
sailors.

Ransome, Arthur. _Racundra's First Cruise_. Century Publishing
Company Ltd., 1984 (originally published in 1923). ISBN
0-7126-0446-4.

Smith, Stanley and Charles Violet. _The Wind Calls the Tune_. George
Ross and Co. Ltd. in association with George G. Harrap and Co. Ltd.,
1952.

The author is the Stanley Smith who designed and built the first West
Wight Potters, and the boat is the one that he and his brother built
in Nova Scotia and sailed across the Atlantic. This is its second
voyage.

Speiss, Gerry, with Marlin Bree. _Alone Across the Atlantic_. CDC,
1981. (also in paper) ISBN 0-89893-506-7.

Speiss designed and built ISLAND GIRL, ten feet length overall, which
set the transatlantic record for the smallest boat at that time.

Teece. Philip. _A Dream of Islands_. Orca Book Publishers, 1988.
ISBN 0-920501-20-6.

Teece built a 20 ft Caprice class twin keeled sloop and sailed it,
mostly single-handed, in the San Juan Islands. He did not sail long
distances, or for long times--the accounts are weekends and vacations,
over a decade. Very much worth reading and rereading.

Vihlen, Hugo. _The Stormy Voyage of FATHER'S DAY_ Marlor Press,
Inc., St. Paul, Minn., 1997. ISBN 943400-91-0.

Vihlen may yet hold the record for west-to-east transatlantic, at
somewhat over four feet overall.

Violet, Charles. _Solitary Journey_. The Mariner's Library, Rupert
Hart-Davis, 1962.

This is the third voyage of Stanley Smith's boat that was the
forerunner of the Potter.

Worsley, Frank A. _Shackleton's Boat Journey_. Norton and Co.,
1977. (first published earlier). ISBN 0-393-30376-4.

This was Shackleton's voyage with five others from Elephant Island
across 800 miles of the Southern Ocean to South Georgia Island, in a
converted lifeboat after his ship had been beset in the ice and sunk,
to save himself and the rest of his crew on Elephant Island.
Considered to be the second greatest small boat journey of all time.
Heroism, skill, and luck beyond all belief.

There are others, but to me these are the ones that stand out, and
that I go back and read, not always for the same reason. I
particularly recommend _Tinkerbelle_, _The Magic of the Swatchways_,
_A Dream of Islands_, _Blueberry_, and _Shackleton's Boat Journey_.

I see after checking the list over that I did not include an address
for Orca Publishing, who published Teece' book. I can get that for
anyone who is interested.

Regards

Tom Grimes
P-14 #363 Far Horizon