Re: Unidentified subject! - flotation

From: SolarFry@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 12:47:22 PST

It takes about a month for that little 1/2" hole to let out enough water to
be able to reach a position of neutral bouyancy in which water no longer
exits through hole.. I long ago considered installing a 2" pvc enclosed hole
in stern of my S13' so water would exit faster when boat is flooded from a
flippin. You would need to know where your point of neutrality is so you
could plug hole. I for one have no idea. And.. I flipped a couple of times
in ocean. I opted for putting a heavier dgrbrd (which would probably sink
boat) to prevent the flippin tendencies when offshore. So far it has work
beautifully.

I tend not to worry and wear a ski belt and whistle full time while sailing.
Never know when I will fall asleep again with all sails cleated and flip the
darn thing again.. So far the ski belt has kept me from drowing quite a few
times..

I would humbly suggest you all sail with the cabin hatch locked and the lil
holes on top of cockpit hatch plugged if you feel ill at ease.

Best
SF

In a message dated 1/27/00 12:26:21 PM Pacific Standard Time,