Plugging the Mast

From: Rye Gewalt (ryeg@vais.net)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 04:01:01 PST

With all of the talk of turning Potters Turtle....

Wouldn't it make sense to plug both ends of the mast to give it a little
more buoyancy in a capsize situation? It would seem to me that a mast
filled with air would assist in righting a boat. I agree that a mast
head float such as used by Dave Kautz makes the most sense, but plugging
both ends of the mast with blocks of styrofoam would seem to be cheap
insurance.

The mast on my '90 HMS 18 has a huge cross section and would probably
contribute some usable buoyancy.

Hmmm... maybe a helium fill would be even better.

Rye Gewalt
90' HMS18 Grace II
Springfield, VA
Potomac R.