Re: Using a tether on a P-19

From: Mac Davis (mcmd@innet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 09:02:32 PST

  Hi Eric et al:
You say: I subscribe to the theory that a tether should keep you aboard the
boat. Hanging over the side is not good, but neither is being dragged
through the water. However, on such a small boat, with commercially
available tethers, a choice may have to be made.

The problem with a short tether is that if you have to stand up, a tether
shorter than 6 feet severly restricts your radius of action. Since on a P19
foredeck, even a four foot tether will allow you to go over the side, the
only way to insure that you stay on board is to construct a serious offshore
rig with a long and short tether. You use the long tether while manuevering
and the short one while working in one place. (I had one of these on my big
boat and it was a real PIA). You need several attachment points, at the
points where you anticipate working (base of mast, bow)
Any tether system that allows you to go overboard should also have at least
one step attached to the hull to allow use of leg muscles to get back on top
of the boat
Regards,
Mac Davis
Kelpie, WWP19#804