Re: Heavy seas

From: Thomas Westerman (thomasw@vanion.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 21:02:20 PST

I have a drogue--an orange rigid plastic one called a "sea squid" Its
actually more of a "sea Anchor" if that is your definition of a drogue
(sea parachute?) Its made in Australia and about the size of a desk
wastebasket. I bought it since it sounded very versatile. It said it would
keep the wind from blowing me accross the lake when deployed.--Ive never
used it--it just takes up space in my vberth. Anyone else have a drogue or
sea anchor?

>From what I've read, the choice of lying-to with a drogue - be it Para-tec
>or a more standard version - is heavily dependent on the relative windage of
>your boat. I understand that many boats with lots of windage forward will
>*refuse* to lie-to bow on, no matter how large the drogue.

Thomas Westerman
P19 #578 Colorado Springs
Soon Walker Bay 8' Dinghy too