Re: bilge

From: Bruce Hood (bhood@sunset.net)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 10:29:02 PST

In the manual " The many ways to Potter" put together with
contributions of advice from many of the early Potter Yachters..
I think it was Gwen Singh who recommended putting Beckson
access port in the top of each of the cockpit seats near the transom..
Beckson opening ports are circular plastic frames with a jar like
lid that plugs down into the frame, and which also have rubber gaskets
that make them quite water tight when the "lid" is in place.. this gives
you an 8 inch pop open lid right near the stern to put a standard
simple hand bilge pump hose through and down into the bilges, and
lets you sit comfortably in the cockpit while you"pump out".. My
P-15 already had them installed, and they also have turned out to
be handy since they also permit getting a wrench up inside the
gunwale to tighten the stern cleat hardware if it works loose , etc.
The Beckson ports, since they are circular, and not extremely large
do not weaken the fibreglas of the seat surface, and are flush with
the surface, so they don't hurt you if you sit down on one...etc.
Hope this explanation is helpful...
Best wishes,
Bruce
Bruce Hood P-15 "Aillte" Sail no. 1246