Flotation and the Plugged Mast

From: Rye Gewalt (ryeg@vais.net)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 13:32:31 PST

Some back of the envelope calculations indicate that the internal volume
of my (short rig) mast is around 1300 cubic inches. If you could plug
both ends and all of the random holes in the mast, this would represent
a displacement of about 44 pounds of water -- not a small amount given
the leverage contributed by the length of the mast.

Given our usual winter paranoia about Potters turning turtle, this might
be something to think and worry about until sailing season starts again.

Now where did I put that damn helium......

Rye