P-15 Sailors Ahoy

From: Dennis W. Farrell (dfarrell@ridgecrest.ca.us)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 14:16:05 PST

There has been a certain amount of discussion of late about safety
precautions against capsizing P-15's, and the lengths to which one should go
to avoid an inverted state. I have gotten questions on "how safe is the
P-15 really now, no kidding". I'd guess that as in many other things it's
the bad news which makes headlines. Soooo -

>From those who wish to do so, I'd like to hear:
    Whether you have been seriously in danger of laying a P-15 fully over on
it's side, i.e., at a 90 degree or worse angle. (By "seriously in danger"
I mean either that it happened, or that you were saved from such happening
only by the intercession of a benevolent Neptune, to whom I hope you later
made appropriate liquid sacrifices<G>)
    If so, what you believe to be the cause(s) of such an unhappy event
    If so, what injuries, psychic or physical, short or long term to persons
or pets resulted
    If so, what damage to the boat or its equipment resulted

    If you successfully avoided such happenings, to what good fortune and
great intelligence do you attribute this happy state?

Now - if you really don't care to take time away from reading one of the
books on the recent lists we've seen, please simply send me an email stating
whether you've ever gotten on your side, damaged your boat, or not.

Negative replies are important, as I'm trying to build a balanced picture of
the situation for certain newcomers to our community.

Thanks to all, and I hope you'll take a few minutes to participate. Names
of those who don't participate will be taken, and their email will be
delayed for 10 minutes<G>. For those who do participate, I will not discuss

I've asked for a fair amount of information, but please keep it as brief as
possible because I hope to somehow summarize what I learn. -- dwf