Re: P19 Rigging - Traveler?

From: Dan Rickert (drickert@thegrid.net)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 15:21:16 PST

>>>Having not received my P-19 yet, I have been sailing on some larger boats
>which
>>
>>>have traveler configurations on the stern. My memory can't recall the
rigging

>>>on the P19. Is there a traveler? If not, is there a similar way to
>>>adjust/shape the sails? Are there configuration changes that folks have
>>>made/recommend to the factory rigging to achieve similar goals of a
traveler?

>>>Feel free to refer me to articles, as long as they are in the "Many Ways to
>

>>>Potter" packet sent out to new Potter Yachters. It's loads of information
>that
>>
>>>I haven't completed yet!
>>
>The P19 doesn't come with a traveler arrangement. I haven't yet figured out
>
>an elegant way to implement one. The problem with the usual obvious methods
>
>is that since the P19 uses end-boom sheeting, a traveller there would get in
>
>the way of the tiller handle. You could raise a traveler track above the
tiller

>handle, but the would greatly complicate attaching and detaching the rudder
>
>and tiller.
>
>A lot of tiller boats get around this by sheeting further forward on the
boom,

>but i think that would be impractical on a P19, since it would chew up a lot
>
>of cockpit space.
>
>It would be nice though - the traveler allows the mainsheet to control mostly
>
>just leech tension, while the traveler car position adjusts angle of attack
>
>or the sail, and there are lots of situations where you want to control these
>
>separately. I think a proper traveller arrangement would squeeze another
degree

>or two of pointing ability.
>
>You can approximate the results you'd get with a traveler by buying a decent
>
>boom vang and using it to control leech tension and using the mainsheet for
>
>angle of attack. But with that arrangement its still hard to get a centerline
>
>boom position with out a tight leech.
>

>http://www.nwlink.com

"Thales" has a coachroof traveler, your are right, it does inprove pointing
measurably. It also frees up the cockpit. Dis-advantages, costs a lot, you
can bang your head on it going below. We installed it last year and still
have some learning to do. When it comes out of storage this summer I will
try to get some more pictures with my digital camera so others can see it.
Dan Rickert First mate "THALES" wwp p-19 212 skipper Vagabond 14 dinghy #
316