sail graphics

From: Thomas Westerman (thomasw@vanion.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 17:37:42 PST

Does anyone on the list have knowledge about sail graphics? Obviously the
potter shark fin sail graphic is an example, its done with a stick on
fabric design. Lets face it, potter sails if all white, are **boring** ;
and alot of us have that color/type of sail.

I bought two 3x5 nylon colorado state flags (one of the more cool and
interesting designs among the 50 states flags) on the idea I would "mount"
them on mirrored sides to my mainsail to provide some "interesting" color
and graphics and show state spirit. I never did though--I got concerned
about color bleed onto my white sail, so I just rigged a flag halyard from
the point of the backstay on the mast (where I put a pulley) and ran it to
a stern cleat and fly one of the flags.

But the question still remains--Is there such a thing as "sail paint" or a
type of dye that wouldnt run, or are "stick on" type fabrics the only way
to do graphics.

I think it would be fun to do some advertising, or just some type of fun
message or design graphic on your sail to break the boring nature of
them--Like the colorado flag idea to show spirit, or some other type of
interesting design--

Who knows about this sort of thing?

Thomas Westerman
P19#578 Colorado Springs