Trailering with Outboard on Transom [WAS RE: Looking for P-19 Characteristics vs Model Year Info]

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst (drjudyb@pacbell.net)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 14:06:25 PST

Hi Bob,

As a clarification to your posting, I want to add the following:

For many years, International Marine has recommended that you do not trailer
the P15 or P19 with *ANY* outboard, 2-stroke or 4-stroke, on the transom, to
avoid damage to the transom.

IM started selling the 4 stroke OB's in the summer/fall of 1999, because of
popular demand. In some states, especially California, 2 strokes are being
banned for freshwater lakes and reservoirs. They started selling the
optional alumiinum backing plate for the year 2000 models to go along with
the 5 hp 4 stroke. The plate's still just for using the OB while sailing;
it's not intended for trailering.

I believe IM is just being conservative (a good thing, imho). Several of us
have been using 5 hp 4 strokes for the past year on our older boats with no
backing plates and with no apparent damage to the transom (yet.) However, I
plan to add a plywood backing on Redwing, just to be conservative.

Some folks trailer with the OB on the transom in spite of IM's official
policy, and have worked out various methods of adding addtional support to
the OB. So far, we haven't heard stories of any damage from the pracice...
but you trailer with an OB on the transom at your own risk.

Fair winds, Judy B, 1985 P19 #266, Redwing (with a 5 hp 4-stoke Nissan)