Re: Trailering with Outboard on Transom [WAS RE: Looking for P-19 Characteristics vs Model Year Info]

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 22:57:02 PST

>Some folks trailer with the OB on the transom in spite of IM's official
>policy, and have worked out various methods of adding addtional support to

>the OB. So far, we haven't heard stories of any damage from the pracice...

>but you trailer with an OB on the transom at your own risk.

FWIW: I've trailed with the motor on there, and the general flexing of the transom
bothered me, though I had no disasters. Nowadays I usually just tie a line from
a stern cleat, around the motor, to another stern cleat. This takes a lot of
the load (particularly the torquing load) off the motor mount and >greatly<
reduces the bouncing around that the motor does. I am confident that this is
an effective way to trailer with the motor attached.

I do have a small, mostly ineffective fiberglass backing plate, but it isn't
clear to me if it was factory-installed or done by a previous owner. I've always
thought that a a nice strengthening system would use a few pieces of aluminum
angle stock running vertically inside the transom with the motor mount bolts
going through them, but I haven't bothered to try it out yet.
http://www.nwlink.com