Re: P19 Headroom

From: Mac Davis (mcmd@innet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 10:58:40 PST

Hi Steve:
I'll respond to the group in the hope of getting a dialog that will answer
your questions. By way of background, I'm 6 foot, 215 lbs. My wife is 5'6"
tall. Inside the P19 you will find adequate room to do everything you would
do in a tent, except stand up.
1. The V berth is pretty comfortable with a filler board, otherwise my
shoulder hits the overhead when I roll over.
2. Using the Porta-Potty in the designed location, on the stbd side forward
of the stove, is possible from a sitting position. Privacy suffers if
anyone else is below. I pee over the side.
3. Cooking on the stove (one pot meals) is not a problem, but it does heat
up the interior significantly. We find that cooking and cleanup are best
done in the cockpit, weather permitting. Its pretty easy to rig a tarp as a
boom tent and keep the sun and light rain off while enjoying the extra
space.
4. The quarter berths provide good storage space. The little seats at the
head of each quarter berth are a good place to sit comfortably out of the
wind when that's desirable.
5. If you are anchored / moored in water shallow enough to require raising
the drop keel, everything will be more cramped and inconvenient.

We lived aboard on a 36 Cal for a couple of years and the P19 is no
liveaboard! But its the only boat that will operated conveniently in the
shallow waters off the Nature Coast. A lot of armchair expertise is found
on this site concerning the ability of the P19 to handle rough weather.
This boat (and most others) will absorb far more punishment than any prudent
mariner should reasonably expect it to, but when the seas approach six feet
and the winds get above 25-30 knots, I cant imagine you'll enjoy the ride.
Safe, yes, comfortable, no.
Hope this helps,
Mac Davis
Kelpie, WWP19#804
Aripeka, FL

Hello all,

> I'm very interested in buying a P19, however I have not yet been able to
see
> one in person. IM gave me a list of several phone numbers in my general
> area, but these people either owned P15s or could not be reached by phone.
>
> Just in case anyone knows of another P19 owner nearby, I live in Delray
> Beach, Florida.
>
> In case I'm not able to see a P19, can anyone please describe their
> experience and impressions of the room below decks? I am 6' 2" tall and
> weigh 200 pounds and would hope that my wife and I (5' 5", 140 pounds)
will