Re: Trailering with centerboard down

From: Rich Gort (rich@gorts.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 09:18:58 PST

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 jckniese@francomm.com wrote:
> My next question is about trailering with the centerboard down. I have
> installed bunk type guide rails in order to center the boat and keep it
> there on the standard trailer. I have lowered the center board onto the
> center bunk to relieve stress on the hull while the boat is sitting over
> the winter. Would it be advisable to trailer the boat with the center
> board resting as such, with tension on the lifting cable? I was
> thinking this could be done with the handle lashed down so as not to
> slip.

There was a discussion on this subject on this list about a year ago. I
ended up emailing IM with the question "Which is better, trailering with
the centerboard resting on the trailer or resting on the centerboard
trunk?" I was really curious, because over the years, the P19 has been
delivered both with trailers having a means of resting it, and not having
any means to rest it. They were totally non-commital. They stated that
the P19 may be trailered either way. Oh well!

My personal opinion is to rest the centerboard on the trailer (if you have
the means to do it) whenever the boat is on the trailer. I can't see how
it could hurt, and it certainly has to be easier on the hull, not to
mention the centerboard trunk. Just make sure if you do it that it is
resting on the trailer frame itself or a bunk designed for the purpose,
not the trailer axle or some part that could move independently of the
trailer frame.

I believe a small amount of tension on the cable is a good idea, both to
keep the cable nicely on the winch and in case of some disaster that could
separate the boat from the trailer. I have not found it necessary to lash
the winch handle, it stays put just fine on my boat.

If you do decide to trailer with it resting, just make sure you remember
to lift it before you you launch ;)

Rich Gort
WWP19 #202 SAYOKO (Oct, 83)
Lake Stevens, WA
Sailing Northern Puget Sound and North Cascades Mountain Lakes