RE: Trailering with Outboard on Transom

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst (drjudyb@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 16:08:54 PST

Hi Webgang,

One thing nobody has mentioned yet -- the pre-IM P-19/HMS-18's have a
plywood reinforced transom, while the newer P19's from IM have a balsa cored
transom. I don't know exactly when the change was made, sorry, but it was
at least three years ago (1997), and maybe even as early as 1993.

I should think the plywood transoms would be more resistant to crushing than
the balsa cored ones, so be carefull tightening outboard bracket bolts on
the newer boats.

You can't draw any comparisons between the two boats. Just because some of
the older P109's owners haven't had any problems trailering their OB's,
doesn't mean the newer boats will stand up to it.

IM has recently been selling alot of boats without OB's. Glenn told me they
started installing the aluminum backing plates because they're concerned
that some owners will mount 8 or 10 hp's, which weigh close to 100 pounds or
heavier. A 5 hp weights 50-60 pounds, whether it's 2-stroke or 4 stroke.

IM knows from years of experience that the P19 transoms can handle a 60
pound OB with no problems, but they're concerned that folks will mount 100
pounders. They're concerned that the extra weight might cause problems, and
they don't want the Potters to get a bad name, even if it's from folks doing
things to the boat that IM doesn't recommend.

IM isn't changing their recommendation on OB's just because they're making
an optional backing plate available. They still recommend a 5 hp. The 5 HP,
4-stroke Nissan they sell weighs 58 pounds.

BTW, the dimensions on the factory aluminum backing plate are 3/16" x 18" x
18" and they glue it to the transom with 3M 5200 as well as bolting the OB
mounting bracket through it.

Fair winds, Judy B