Re: Good Buy???

From: Dave & Francesca Kautz (dfkautz@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 21:13:26 PST

Judy's advice below is almost EXACTlY our experience when we bought our
'87 P-15 (it was 11 years old at the time). We replaced all the running
rigging and most of the Race-Lite blocks (with Harken Micro blocks) that
were original equipment. The trailer needed new tires, wheel bearings
and a tail light. The joint where the U-bolts (for the shroulds)
penetrate the deck had leaked and the plywood backing plates had some
rot in the center. The other work that needed to be done was UNDOING
some of the modifications that the previous owner had made - world's
weirdest mainsheet and halyard rigging and removing those nasty sail
slugs. (fellow list members, let's not go there.....).
I don't remember the exact amount, but I did add up what we spent after
getting the boat and it was about $250, but that included some charts, a
compass, an anchor and a few other items that you'd have to buy with a
brand new boat too. I spent about $15 for new striping tape in a
different color, which spruced up the appearance and made it look a lot
more like "my" boat than a used boat. A $9 can of varnish and some
sandpaper also did a lot to make the brightwork look newer.

As to the construction quality of the mid-80s boats, I've no complaints
other than the painted centerboard (which had some rusty spots). I've
since had that galvanized which wasn't expensive but it was a hassle
getting it out and in. I like the older tilt trailer better than the
newer ones and I like the fact that the older boats have access hatches
for storage on both sides of the bilge - though it means you don't get a
recess for a porta-potti.

But, details of whether it's a '78, '88 or '98 aside, get one! That
little boat has changed my life - It has opened up a wonderful new world
filled both with adventures and a glimpse at our maritime history,
dashed my mid-life crisis to bits and brought me into contact with many
new people whom I hope won't be too offended if I call them friends.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632, Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA